Jürgen, thank you. Just what I wanted to know.

Bruce

On Jun 6, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

Bruce Pourciau wrote:

Typographers generally measure type size and leading in points --
they might say, for example, that they have set Adobe Palatino 10/12,
that is, in 10 point type with 2 points of lead. Does anyone know the
default leading used for the standard LaTeX letter and article
classes, assuming the default 10 pt type size?

See the file size10.clo:
\renewcommand\normalsize{%
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

that is: 10pt/12pt

If the default is
10/12, say, would \linespread{1.05} increase the leading to 10/12.6?

basically yes, but read:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=linespread

(I'm using a new installation gwtex and have \usepackage[osf]
{mathpazo} in the preamble, if that matters.)

FWIW, Walter Schmidt, the maintainer of the PSNFSS bundle and co- author of
mathpazo, recommends
\linespread{1.05}
when using mathpazo/palatino.

HTH,