In my view, it would be just as well if the xforms front end were
discarded in favor of one using the GTK libraries (used by Gnome,
originating from the GIMP work IIRC).

I have not met anyone in some years using *any* version of Linux that
did not have at least qt or gtk, in most cases both, installed
already.

Personally, I have a clear preference for kde, so the qt interface is
fine by me! ...

There are a number of package/installation systems in Linux--perhaps
as we get true Linux Standard Base-compliant we can settle those down
a great deal! I have also heard good things about yum (making up for
some of the rpm deficiencies); yast keeps getting better; of course
Debian led the way with apt/dpkg; and others such as portage are also
supposed to be excellent.

Regarding the BaKoMa fonts--is there a version around in TrueType that
has been encoded not to conflict with the Windows font engine? If so,
that would seem to be your best out...

David