> Hello,
>
> I’ve just installed Lyx 1.4.1 under Windows XP with
> lyx-1.4.1_win32_setup_v1.exe
> <ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.4.1/lyx-1.4.1_win32_setup_v1.exe> . I
> am using the sh.exe under cygwin, the Python 2.4, the gs8.51 and
> ImageMagick6.7 Q16.
> I can start Lyx with no problem and download a file. But when I want to
> compile it with DVI from “edit” menu, I’ve got the following error:
> ---------------------------
> Subsistema MS-DOS de 16 bits
> ---------------------------
> 5367625/3432
> La CPU NTVDM ha encontrado una instrucción no permitida. (CPU NTVDM has
> found an unallowed instruction)
> CS:0fa9 IP:21c6 OP:63 6c 61 64 6f Elija "Cerrar" para finalizar la
> aplicación.

Hello,

my Spanish is more than a little rusty, so I might be dead wrong. The
crash stems from the fact that Windows things that it has found an
"unallowed instruction". So the question is what kind of CPU are you
running on. I am fairly certain that the build is not optimized for
anything newer but a P5, so you are probably in the clear. If that is the
case it is very probable that your hardware could habe some defect, i.e.
some bits in your memory might be defective, so take something like
Memtest and let it run on your box to be sure that it is not a
memory/hardware problem.

If it isn't flaky hardware you might need to take a look at cygwin or even
Windows XP itself.

Cheers,

Michael