Cheers, all,

I found (on Herbert Voss' site -- where else?) what appears to be a solution, at least for me. As mentioned here http://tug.org/TeXnik/mainFAQ.cgi?file=footnotes/footnotes , footnotes sometimes don't end up where they "should". In my document preamble, I wrote
   \usepackage[bottom]{footmisc}
and it appears to fix this problem.

   Hope this helps someone else!

          Curtis O.

Curtis Osterhoudt wrote:

Hi, all. I'm using LyX 1.4.1 on Debian, and writing in the koma-script
book class.
  I'm having a problem with footnotes and table floats (it happens with
figure floats, too). In the text, I have a footnote, which I *think*
should go at the very bottom of the page, under everything else (except
the page number, of course). On the same page, if I insert a figure or
table float, and use either default placement or "bottom of the page", the
float will end
up below the footnote, with the footnote seeming to  be suspended above
the float. It looks pretty bad.
  Is there any way to fix this?

Footnotes do not mix well with tables in LaTeX. One solution would be to
insert your table in a minipage. Footnotes would be inserted just below the
float but not with other footnotes at the bottom of the page.

The catch is that the footnote here does not need to be part of the table. I can reproduce what Curtis described: a footnote in the text (not in the float), a tabular float set to bottom, and the float is printed below the footnote (and above the page number).

It's not specific to the komascript book class, either; the same thing happens with article and book, among others.

I have no idea what the fix would be, though. It seems to be a LaTeX issue (not a LyX bug). It was reported in 1997 and apparently will not be changed (unless there was a more recent report that got a different reception). See http://www.latex-project.org/cgi-bin/ltxbugs2html?category=LaTeX&responsible=anyone&state=anything&keyword=&pr=latex%2F2482&search= (sorry for the long URL).

/Paul