On Sunday 11 June 2006 05:52 pm, Eric Fuchs wrote:
> Hello all:
>
>   I am writing a book, which originally started out as
> a bunch of articles written for a class. Every article
> was written using LyX's article layout. Now, I want to
> put them all into a single book, using the book
> layout.  This is what I've done for every article:
> 1.  Eliminated the author environment
> 2. Transformed the article-layout to book layout
> 3. Transformed the title of the article to chapter
>
> I want now, to just copy-paste each chapter in
> consecutive order to create a book.  My problem lies
> with the tables.  All the tables give out errors when
> compiling.  If I create the table again (even with the
> same data) the problems goes away.

Does the error occur when compiling a single converted article, or when
compiling the whole concatination?

Further diagnosis would require the error messages thrown during compilation.

> Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of
> doing this?

My first thought was to use Vim to cut out each article minus its preamble,
paste it onto the end of the book (with preamble), and put in a chapter mark.
Also, you'd need to do something about any Part or Part* environments in your
articles so they don't clash with the book's Part and Part*, since they
clearly would not be used for the same purpose.

When I start a new book, I lay out the structure in VimOutliner, and then use
a script to convert VimOutliner to a book document class's Part, Chapter,
Section, Subsection, SubSubsection, Paragraph and SubParagraph environments,
and then paste that into an empty document preamble. Also, I frequently make
small tweaks to a LyX document in Vim.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm