>>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Michael McNeil Forbes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
>>Subject: layout and template from LaTeX class.
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have developed a LaTeX thesis class for UBC and have received questions
>>about how to use it with LyX.  As I know very little about LyX, I am not
>>sure how to proceed.
>>
>>All of the LaTeX class files and templates can be found below:
>>http://alum.mit.edu/www/mforbes/projects/ubcthesis/
>>
>>I am trying to make the ubcthesis.cls compliant with UBC standards, and so
>>have provided a sample file ubcsample.tex that contains many comments
>>about the ordering of content, formatting issues etc. as required by the
>>university.  These must be presented to users: I assume that this would be
>>done through a "template" for LyX users.
>>
>>What is the best way to make this class available to LyX users?
>>
>>The ubcthesis.cls is a modification of the standard book.cls.
>>
>>I have tried making a simple ubcthesis.layout file:
>>-----
>>#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
>>#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[ubcthesis]{University of British Columbia Theses}
>>
>># Read the definitions from book.layout
>>Input book.layout
>>-----
>>It seems to work, but importing the ubcsample.tex renders most of the
>>comments in an extremely usless format.  Many of the comments are about
>>ways of doing things in LaTeX or required stuff, and the resulting file
>>seems almost useless for someone starting a thesis in LyX.  (I think
>>it would be easier for them to use LaTeX!)
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to best make this class available to LyX users?

I've been through this kind of problems: in sample files, you find two
kinds of information:
 - instructions about how to use the class (various commands available), often
alternating
 piece of code and example of result;
 - complements of instructions about layout (e.g. appearance of tables, space
around figures, etc.).

The pieces of code are not needed in the LyX case if the layout implements all
particularities
of the class: the sample can be restricted to an illustration of the specific
styles.
So the template/example (i.e. a template which is not empty, but filled with
examples of use)
can be much simpler than the LaTeX equivalent.

The complementary instructions are normally not needed as they are a remaining
of the time where
publishers sent to authors the description of the desired layout: if the class
is correctly
built, these layout instructions should not exist anymore.
However as the class can be incomplete (e.g. for tables layout), parts of the
LaTeX code
can be included in ERT to produce the explanations in screen or paper versions.

HTH

--
Jean-Pierre