On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:00:22PM +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am one of  the people who cannot finds editing documents hard on
> screen - I end up printing a copy and then working through it with a
> pen, making changes and restructuring, and then typing the changes up.
>
> I didn't find this a problem when using Word because what was
> on-screen looked like the paper copy, so I didn't have to think hard
> about which parts matched up.  However with LyX this has become much
> more difficult, because the printed copy and the editable copy don't
> look similar.
>
> Now I know that people have been writing documents this way for much
> longer than word processors have been around, (think of raw TeX)
> which suggests it's a problem with my approach.  Do you have any tips
> or suggestions for making the editing process smoother?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I'm not sure what it is specifically that you want to transfer from the
"look" (when you speak of matching up parts), but my own approach
involves using gv and the built-in shortcuts for that viewer.

I set gv's preferences to include "watch file" (updates about every
second).  In LyX I type ctrl-T to open a view in gv, then every time I
finish editing something I know affects the look, I type ctrl-shft-T,
and the view is updated.

Since I use fluxbox as a window manager, I tab the two apps together,
so no more real estate is lost.  Passing my mouse over the tabs shifts
between LyX and gv.  One could use another desktop for gv, if desired.

Of course, if you're in Windows, you'll have to deal with whatever
limitations are there...  ;-)

Printing specific pages is simple with gv.

Trying to match text is not an issue for me, since gv is always synced
with LyX this way (I see, then I edit directly).  If needed, I'd guess
that you could leave the find box open next to the window...

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,