On 19/06/06, Jeremy Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
For some time I have been evaluating Lyx as an academic word processor, but
find it wanting in a few critical areas.
Judging from the number of posts to this lists, citations and bibliographies
are a major issue. There is no easy to use
method (e.g., a GUI) that can define the options for natbib, jurabib, or any
number of bibliography styles. Most
importantly, customizing these styles again requires one to write more code,
yet again, instead of engaging in the
writing process.

Yes.  Especially for the Humanities where Journal X or Department Y
has its own house style.

I suppose what I'm hoping for is someone to say 1) "no, you're wrong, because...";
2) "wait x number of years and we'll
be there"; or 3) "if you don't like coding, use a different tool."

1) No you're wrong.  LyX is a front end, designed to make LaTeX
easier, which it has successed at.  Its suffering from mission-shift
at the moment as more people take it up.  Due to the sciences bias in
the initial user group / development group, LyX and LaTeX achieve
science results with greater ease.  I anticipate this will change as
more humanities users take LyX/LaTeX up.

2) Wait x number of years and we'll be closer to a front-end for more
LaTeX features.  Though this may mean tkJuraBibStyleEditor as a device
independent GUI ap, rather than the features embedded in LyX itself.
Or it may mean tkLyX_Semi_WYSIWYM/WYSIWYG_StyleEditor instead of a
style editor within LyX itself.  Or it may mean
LyX_DocumentTemplate_Humanities_History_ChicagoFootnotes_UniversityFoo_DeptBar_StyleBok
etc.  Who knows?  It depends on the contributions from the community
of users and developers between now and year X.

What I do know is the age, stability and support for LyX/LaTeX/TeX
means that your commitment is unlikely to be wasted by technological
or commercial change: Company X won't fail and no longer support their
document format.

3) If you don't like the limitations of LyX as it currently is, and
don't like the bug/feature resolution system of ERT / feature
requesting / solving it yourself and sharing the results, don't use
LyX.  The community development culture is unlikely to change.

This whole thing is extremely frustrating as I can see the huge promise that
the LaTeX/Lyx system can offer, but it's
awfully rough beneath the surface.

Yes.  I found that LyX was great to write undergraduate / honours work
in without a bibliography / citation manager.  Now that I'm working on
journal articles and my doctoral dissertation, I'm finding that I'm
coming up against new challenges with regards to citation management.
1.4.3 provides far more suitable and easy solutions than 1.3.7 did for
me.  It also took a large amount of time to find the right device
independent tools for bibliography management, and the ones which
suited my academic needs over a career.  I found this a more useful
investment of my time than the repeated wordprocessor crashes and
frustrations of EndNote.  Your situation may differ.

Finally, LyX development works more like a community of knowledge than
a commercial developer.  People produce new ideas, or reproduce old
ideas, and share them for free.  The cost is of course, people may not
have developed the ideas you need, yet.

yours,
Sam R.
--
I will give you Tacos, such Tacos as you have never seen.