John Pye wrote:
Your approach defeats the purpose of using SVG in the first place, and will result in much large PDF files that I am currently getting. I really want to work out how use my SVG-with-alpha directly in LyX, or at least some vector format that will look OK.

I wonder if there's an SVG-to-EPS converter that doesn't something smart with regard to alpha channels? It would need to flatten the layers of the vector image in a vectorised way, rather than the bitmapped way that most renderers no double work.
If you're making a PDF, don't bother with EPS if you don't have to.
Can your SVG be converted to PDF directly?  pdflatex likes figures in
pdf format.  xfig drawings are treated this way already.

Helge Hafting