Hello Richard

Many scientific papers have a tendency to provide a bibliography layout file
in endnote format and never a .bst file. Perhaps it would be possible to
convert endnote->bst config?

Now, apart from this, I support your idea to make a simplified version of
makebst (which is a very useful tool, but I often have to redo the process
several times to get everything in order - and I am constantly confused in
this process as well).

First thing is to realize that a bibtex entry consists of a number of blocks
and that the blocks used in an bibtex entry depends on the entry type.
Second, the order of blocks should be configurable (title block before date
block or visa verse). Thirdly, each block should be configurable in all the
details (et al in italics or not, etc.).

Keeping these three things in mind, I think it is important to sort out the
question about which blocks should be used for a given entry type, then what
order the blocks should be in for this entry type, and finally the layout
for the blocks. Keeping these three levels separate should also simplify the
syntax.

some pseudo syntax:

<entry=article>
  <author block>
  <" ">
  <title block>
  <". ">
  <journal block>
  <". ">
  <pages block>
  <", ">
  <date block>
</entry>

<block=author>
   <last name>
   <"., ">
   <first name>
</block>

<block=title>
   <title, font-style="italics">
</block>

And most importantly. A small set of test references should be available so
that you can test the outcome of you bibliography layout with the click of a
button. That is a problem with makebst, that you have to go through a long
process before you can test the layout. Actually, this is one spot where I
would like to see some WYSIWYG.

Best regards,

Martin