On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:34:18 +0200
Tomasz Łuczak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> >
> > One student who makes her diplom about "Comparing LyX to another Word
> > processors", asked me about the minimum HW required fo LyX.
> >
> > I run (I tried it on [EMAIL PROTECTED] without success) LyX on slow
> > computer, but it was hard to get use it (1.3.3 with linux).
> >
> > As far, I can remember LyX can run where an X server and KDE can run.
> > Is the Ok?
> > Is that means that a 200-300MHz P1 or P2 with 16-32MB ram will be enough
> > to run LyX?
> > On this machine the LaTeX will also run I am sure.
> >
> > Can some of them confirm it?
> LyX with XForms with Fluxbox/Windowmaker instead KDE should run on P1/P2
> with 32MB RAM.

It's been quite a few years since I tried it and lyx, X and linux have grown in
abilities and size since then but I used to run everything on a 486.

You would need a smartly compile linux, keep X small in terms of modules and
run a light window manager (like mentioned, fluxbox/windowmaker will work,
probably fvwm also, for the extremist there is also ratpoison and  a few
others). A pentium should work also. I already ran it on a pentium II laptop
that could hardly support win98.

KDE and Gnome are a big bloatware (in terms of both memory and cpu
requirements) that you don't want to run on a machine with less requirements
then needed for win XP.

You would probably also want lyx compiled with xforms and not qt.

On my machine, lyx-qt + X + fvwm takes together about 45MB although cutting
down is probably possible.