Michael> Does anybody know how to correct this stupid bug which
Michael> completely upends the aim of LyX to create professionally
Michael> typeset articles.

After doing some research, it happens to be an incompatibility between
babel and amsart, which got fixed in babel 3.8f

%  \begin{macro}{\markright}
%  \begin{macro}{\markboth}
% \changes{babel~3.8f}{2005/05/15}{Make the definition independent of
%    the original definition; expand \cs{languagename} before passing
%    it into the token registers}

What happens is that amsart and babel redefine the macros \markright
and \markboth (used for headers) in incompatible ways. I do not know
when this behaviour began to be visible.

I am not sure what we can do about it. Is your TeX installation really
up to date?

JMarc