Ok, I think I got it (after a while .... *gg*)

I could also figure out why the images seemed to be cropped properly an newer images were not: The first images were created with gnumeric which adopts the canvas size -- and the newer images have a canvas of A4, therefore the large area to display in lyx... DVI output was always fine because EPS does not know a thing like the canvas.

So would like to thank the list members for their help and explanations ... and for their patience!

Cz.