Rich Shepard wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Steve Harris wrote:

I think that since pdflatex doesn't use the .eps format this might mean an
automatic conversion of any (mixed) eps files to pdflatex compatible
formats. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought this was done manually.

  I don't know, Steve. I used only .eps figures in my book and produced the
PDF output with pdflatex.

  This is quite interesting; I'm learning a lot.

Rich

Well, I think I've read this more than one place.

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/bibliog/latex/LaTeXtoPDF.html

----------------

dvipdfm method

If you don't need PostScript output, you can save a step by going directly from DVI to PDF format by using dvipdfm:

                  latex            dvipdfm
        text.tex -------> text.dvi -------> text.pdf

Once again, the figures must be Encapsulated PS. So you have compact, scalable graphics — with one less step.

Pdflatex method

The pdflatex program produces a PDF file directly from the LaTeX source:

                 pdflatex
        text.tex --------> text.pdf

That looks pretty painless; but there's a catch. While the previous methods employ EPS exclusively as the graphics format, pdflatex won't accept EPS directly at all: you have to convert all the graphics to JPEG, PNG, or PDF (!) before compiling.

That isn't as bad as it sounds, because EPS can be “wrapped” with PDF headers to become PDF and still have scalable, vector graphics. And JPEG is a compact format for photographs, while PNG is a very compact way to store images with sharp outlines without introducing compression artifacts."

Regards,
Stephen