[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:

The pronounciation bit is pretty interesting though...

I suspect that the sound snippet where Linus Torvalds pronounces "linux" helped promote linux quite a bit...

Not to mention settling more than a few arguments -- as the developer and benevolent god of Linux, he gets the last word on how it's pronounced. I suppose Matthias Ettrich would be the official arbiter of pronunciation here? (And, by the way, you don't want to know how we Americans pronounce "Matthias".)

It is also interesting how you Americans usually can't hear the difference between the vowel sound Swedes/Norwegians make when pronouncing "LyX" compared to eg "licks".

Some of us can. We just can't reproduce it. Anyway, the official American policy on language is (a) pronounce it any way we damned well please and then (b) tell you that you're pronouncing it wrong, even if the word comes from your native language. :-) (In the case of the Brits, we will also take time to point out that they spell a lot of words incorrectly, such as "programme".)

[* ] The advantage with a long vacation is that first you can go away with your significant other and then you can also get some playtime on your own. In a few days I'll be off to see Vienna and Innsbruck in Austria :-)

Now, let me think... in the US you typically have... what.. two weeks?

    ;-)

Three months (college professor), although I only have one month left.  ;-)

/Paul