>My crazy tgif file that calls lyx for equation editing in figures does not
>work,
>but that is to be expected.  The equaiton objects need unix flavored calls like
>/usr/bin/lyx and pstoepsi,  and lyx / tgif are running in a traditional shell.

I straightened out some of the path problems, adding
c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin and the path to lyx.exe in my XP path.

Now lyx opens tgif just fine for editing and converting.

Tgif can be started from cmd.exe, and it will even correctly call lyx to
write equations and convert the ps to eps for insertion back into the
tgif file.  The commands it executes are:

"xterm -geom 40x8+200+400 -e /usr/bin/lyx $(file_name).tex;")])
"xterm -geom 40x8+200+400 -e /usr/bin/lyx $(file_name).tex --export ps;")])
"xterm -geom 40x8+200+400 -e pstoepsi $(file_name).ps $(file_name).eps")])

My current problem is now that when lyx opens tgif to edit an obj, then
tgif calls lyx to edit an equation in the figure the paths are munged and
pstoepsi does not correctly convert the resulting eps and you get a big
bounding box around the eps, but it is close enough for now...