On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

I don't think hyphenating a URL is a good idea, since the dash character
is legal in a URL (so is that a hyphen, or a dash, asks the reader).

Paul,

  I agree totally. But, I don't what the URL hanging out in the right
margin, either.

Hints/instructions for using url.sty are stashed at the end of the file

  Cool! I never looked for documentation within it.
In particular, look for the description of \UrlBreaks and \UrlBigBreaks,
which control where long URLs are broken.

  Thanks. That will be very helpful.

  What I ended up doing -- as I've done in the past with overfull hboxes
that cannot easily be divided, was to re-write the sentences with the
offending URLs and TeX took care of hyphenating them in appropriate places.
:-) That's why it's called "creative writing," I suppose.

Many thanks for the hints,

Rich