Finally, I re-installed LaTeX - this time with MacTex, not i- Installer, then LyX - which worked even without running the Mac LyX- installer: Now, all the classes are available, I can create output - though, instead of "Preview", Safari pops up and wants to show the PDFs ... but that's not important. I can also use DVI - which did not work in the old installation - which is turned into PDFs and shown by TeXmaker that came with MacTeX. So, everything is almost even better than before. Somehow I must have broken my LaTeX installation - don't know how, but doesn't matter anymore :-)

Thanks for all the helping suggestions  - keep on "happy lyxing"
;-)

Bernd