Ed Gatzke wrote:
I have run into problems adding extra class files into my latex installation and
getting them to work with lyx.  (I know, install, run something to reconfigure
latex, reconfigure lyx, but it is never smooth sailing for me)

It may be nice to have a boatload installed by default or as an option.

Some to consider include things like prosper (for pretty powerpoint slides) or
some widely used professional styles (IEEE, IFAC, others).

1.4.2 already has .layout files for a lot of things that apparently did not get
installed in the latex default package (or maybe 1.42 added more layouts that
were not included in the 1.4.1 latex I am using).  Why not have a install option
for "extended latex".
I know originally they limited the extra stuff in LaTeX distributions, but the
way HD space and bandwidth is now days, how much does an extra few MB cost us...

There are a few more on the Wiki and instruction on how to make
a simple one that will probably work for you. Layout files aren't
as abundant as you might think because authors don't make them.
The Wiki has Beamer and Powerdot layouts and a small collection.

http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/CreatingLayouts [roll your own]

Regards,
Stephen