Thanks Jürgen and Paul. I'm now in conversation with the journal.

They accept latex files and can build from them on their e-submission site a pdf that the author can view for approval, but this pdf is only for viewing -- it has all the figures lined up at the beginning, for example. And in my case, for some reason, it also did not show italic or small caps in the correct places. The journal is not typeset with latex, so they must have a way to go from a latex file to something in their format that's at least roughly accurate. In any case, they have to check the latex file to see where the figures go, so it seems to me they can also check it to see where \emph and \noun = \textsc are marking italic and small caps.

Bruce