LB wrote:
Hi

one more idea: if this is really a PATH problem and things worked normally under lyx 1.4.1, then I would do the following simple steps (unless you already tried this and I didn't see it in the earlier messages):
(a)
Revert to LyX 1.4.1 and open the Preferences dialog to find out EXACTLY what your PATH setting is in that program.

The path in 1.4.1:
C:\LyX\Python24;C:\LyX\msys\1.0\bin;C:\LyX\texmf\miktex\bin;c:\lyx\gs\gs8.14\bin;C:\LyX\ImageMagick

(b)
Copy that string.
(c)
Re-install LyX 1.4.2 and open the Prefs dialog there to see its PATH settings. I would strongly suspect that this is somehow different from 1.4.1.

Reinstalled Lyx 1.4.2
Its PATH is:
C:\LyX\Python24;C:\LyX\msys\1.0\bin;C:\LyX\texmf\miktex\bin;c:\lyx\gs\gs8.14\bin;C:\LyX\ImageMagick>>> (d)>> Enter the previously copied PATH from 1.4.1 into the PATH box in 1.4.2.> The paths are exactly the same;>>> (e)>> Restart LyX 1.4.2 (just to be safe), and see if the preview works now.>This also did not work.Thank youLeo

The paths are not supposed to be the same. LyX 1.4.1 did not
install a python directory under LyX. Also the batfiles are
not the same. This usually happens when the preferences
files under c:\documents and settings\yourusername~~~\~
are not deleted during the uninstall. Then the next
version picks up the old preferences and sometimes
doesn't work right. Maybe you have more than just two
copies of LyX installed, 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. You can do
a Windows Search for the filename lyx.exe and see if
if reports more than two instances on your C drive.
Also do a search for "preferences".

Regards,
Stephen