Eric Inazaki wrote:
Did it give you a message about not finding class files? There have been instances where LyX installed properly but the configuration script failed, and subsequently LyX would not start because it could not find the requisite configuration information. (But it would at least display the GUI and cough up a message to that effect.)

Right after I installed lyx, it spent a lot of time downloading stuff.
They looked like template files, might have class files, I wasn't paying
that close attention.  And it may or may not have been lyx that was doing
the downloading, could've been MikTeX which I installed at about the
same time.  (The dialog boxes didn't say what program they were affiliated
with).

After LyX installs, it automatically runs a configuration script that, among other things, snoops around your LaTeX installation looking to see which among a roster of "common" classes are installed. That information is written to some configuration files. MikTeX treats this the same way it treats a document trying to load a class, and so (depending on how you have MikTeX configured) it will either do nothing, automatically install the classes, or bug you whether or not to install each one. (I'm category three, so every time I install a new LyX version I get multiple nags from MikTeX.) If you're on the auto-install plan, probably that was the downloading you observed.

After all that was done (as near as I could tell), I would go to Start->
Programs and click on "lyx" then a command window would pop up for about
a half-second, disappear and that's all she wrote.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's not the "configuration burped" error.

So you're saying that you could install and run lyx at the "Program Files"
directory, out of the box, with no problems and without having to futz
around with anything?

Windows being Windows, the most I'm willing to say is that LyX typically installs properly in C:\Program Files (but your actual mileage, if you get any, may vary).

If you clean out an detritus and try another install under C:\Program Files, it might fly this time. If not, try opening a command prompt in the LyX bin directory and run lyx.bat from there. That way, if it spits up an error message, you'll have a chance to see it without the window closing on you.

/Paul