Have you tried to add a customized keyboard shortcut for your own commands?
That might work. But I think recognizing the leading "\" can be a problem.

I use keyboard shorcuts for everything and I find it to be very efficient
(most of the time less keystrokes compared to the corresponding latex
command).
I get the \alpha by  M-m g a   (Alt-M followed by "g" and "a" ).
You shouldn't use the GUI interface, you really shouldn't.

Have a look at the files in ~/.lyx/bind
start by looking at  the file cua.bind and math.bind see how it is done.
I think you will figure it out.