Hello !

i have the same problem with sections (in book style).

I use \markright for changing the section title in the header - TWICE, just
before and after the \section. Otherwise [just with \markright{..}
\section{..}] (only!) the first page with the new section has the long title in
the fancyheader!

My "solution":

\markright{short}
\section{looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong title}
\markright{short}

The long title will appear in the TOC. But i think that this will cause
problems when the section starts on a new page...

I haven't tried it with chapters; maybe there is a problem that the short title
appears on the page before the new chapter (because this always uses a new
page)!?

For chapters the caommand is not \markright but \markboth{short CHAPTER
name}{section name}.

I use Lyx 1.3.7 (German) but i can't find "Insert>Short Title". But it seems
that the code created is "\section[short]{looooooooong title}", isn't it? The
short title will appear in the TOC in this case.

Best wishes,
Marco