In a single (not two-sided) document, I'd like to have some marginal notes in the left margin and some in the right. By default marginal notes go into the right margin. I've read that this default can be switched with \reversemarginpar and restored with \normalmarginpar, but when I use these commands, my marginal notes all end up in the same margin: the left margin if the last command was \reversemarginpar and the right margin if the last command was \normalmarginpar. How can I make each marginal note go into its correct margin?

Bruce