Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
In preparation for the class, I plan to post a separate
questionnaire to the lyx-users and lyx-devel lists. ....
I welcome any comments about this.  Again, my intent is to
have this be a contribution to the lyx project.

I am currently working with a colleague on a book chapter using lyx, me on linux platform, he on microsoft. There are some problems on his side (e.g. exporting to pdf) with which I canĀ“t help him.

I think, it would be very helpful in such and similar cases to have a linux livesystem on CD which contains all the necessary programs needed for writing documents with lyx such as tex stuff, spellchecker, vector and pixel oriented graphics (xfig, PyX, PStricks..), chemical formulas, bibtex related things such as JabRef or Pybliographer, presentations (beamer..). There is a nice book by Rainer Hattenhauer (2005), Linux-Livesysteme (published by Galileo Computing) - alas in German (perhaps translated in the meantime?) which gives detailed instructions and could serve as a basis. One could just insert this CD in the computer, start the system, work with it, save the produced documents on the computer, and thats it. I think this would be a nice project also for your students ...
A LyX liveCD would be nice, sure.  Be aware that linux doesn't
write very well to NTFS filesystems though - so it may be necessary
to save on FAT/FAT32 formatted usb thing if the disk filesystem is NTFS.

As for making pdf on windows - pdflatex is supposed to work
there too.

Helge Hafting