On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:51:44 +0200
Juergen Spitzmueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David L. Johnson wrote:
> > However, in recent versions (I am currently using 1.4.2 under debian
> > linux), before either the author name or the title, on the running heads in
> > the printout or dvi files, occurs the word "english" --- the document
> > language.  I can sometimes get it to generate "american" instead, but that
> > is not the point. It is printing the document language label on the running
> > head.
>
> This smells like the following babel bug:
> http://www.latex-project.org/cgi-bin/ltxbugs2html?pr=babel/3238
>
> Which babel version are you using? The bug should be fixed with version 3.7.

Well, this looks like the culprit, but according to my tex output I have:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./301f06-info-johnson.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, ...
Document Class: amsart 2004/08/06 v2.20

so maybe the babel bug did not get fixed with v3.8d, or came back in, or it
is a latex bug instead.  These were just updated by an upgrade of debian
etch, but the bug has been with me for several upgrades.

Thanks for the help; at least I know where to go.

--

David