Also sprach sk:
> sorry for not answering earlier-had been on a two week hollieday.
>
> your proposed solution worked for me. but still I think that g-brief
> should work out of the box for any lyx user. what can be done about it?
> could the "Telefon" variable in g-brief be changed into something unique?

Not easily. g-brief is not our package, we cannot simply change it (the LPPL,
the license of the package, allows changes only if the file is distributed
under a different name, e.g. g-brief-lyx.cls).

However, in the documentation of g-brief, the developer states that even if he
will not add any new features to the old g-brief class (in favour of
g-brief2), he is still willing to fix bugs. So your best bet is to write a
bug report to

m [DOT] lenzen [AT] t-online [DOT] de

Jürgen