Sven> About the slowness (only part of the problems, of course...):
Sven> When the table float inset is open, even typing in a paragraph
Sven> next to, but *outside* the table float is difficult, lyx not
Sven> keeping up with my speed. CPU usage reaches 70-100% during
Sven> typing, compared to <10% when typing with the table float inset
Sven> closed.

Sven> Is this really unknown?

The problems with slowness of editing inside insets are unfortunately
known. They seem to be worse on Mac in particular. Some effort has
been done to mitigate it for collapsable insets, but we are facing
some qt speed problem, it seems.

Basically, you can type with a good speed in a paragraph that is along
on its row on screen.

JMarc