Cheers--
I did everything you suggested, and there are no more error messages.

Jeers--
It only kinda works.

The original document rendered as dvi without complaint, but did not heed my single spacing instructions. I thought that might be something to do with my original file, so I made a new one with just three lines, and no other formatting but single spacing. It worked! But when I right, left, or center align it (with the paragraph dialog) it doesn't work (It double spaces, I think). It only works with the default alignment of "justified". Boooo!

Is there any kind of example LyX document with different formatting tests? For all I know there might be many other problems with my installation
preventing documents from rendering correctly.

Thanks so much for your help.
(And no, I was not fully operational either even before using LyX.)

         --Urijah