Hi Paul,
thanks for your quick answer ;-)
The procedure you describe works well.

But the format of the date string does not fit well with all my needs, because it is quite long.

So I come to a more general question:
Is it possible to invoke some linux command from inside LyX AND to get the output of that command in the text?

Greetings from Munich

Hellmut

Half an answer: Type M-x to open the command minibuffer, then date-insert (enter) in the minibuffer to insert the date at the current cursor position. You could bind the date-insert command to a key combination for easy access. I don't know any way to insert the current time, though. Maybe something with a shell script? (Or bug the developers to add a time-insert LFUN?)

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber
Degenfeldstraße 2, D - 80803 München-Schwabing