Paul Schwartz wrote:
> I used Chapter* but it is not supposed to appear in the TOC with this class
> of doc. So I replaced Chapter* by Section* which is supposed to appear.
> Effectively it appears inside the LyX file but not in the pdf doc through
> pdflatex.

Are you sure? Normally, none of the *-headings are supposed to appear in the
TOC (that's what the star insicates, amongst others).

If you want unnumbered sections in the TOC, you have to do something else.
Here are some possibilities:

(1) write
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{<the actual chapter text>}
in TeX-mode just below the Chapter*. If it's a Sction*. replace "chapter"
by "section".

(2) use KOMA-book as a class and use "Addchap" and "Addsec" instead of
Chapter* and Section*

(3) if you have only unnumbered, no numbered headings, just use Chapter and
Section and set "Numbering" to "no" in Document->Settings->Numbering & TOC

Jürgen