Mike Reeks wrote:
I am trying to install the latest version lyx-143-4  and failed to
download spellchecker. The message during the installation says 'failed
to download English spell checker- would you like to try again'. Clearly
problems accessing the host from the web.  How do I install spellchecker
separately once lyx has been set up? What is the procedure? Any
suggestions as to what to do?

Hypothetically, the following should work:

1. Download http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Windows/Aspell6/aspelldata-0.60.4-root.exe
and install it.  (It should install to C:\Aspell.)

2. Download your choice of dictionary from http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6 and install that.

The reason I say "hypothetically" is that I have yet to get LyX 1.4.3 to admit that I have the en_US dictionary installed, even though it works fine with 1.4.2 and earlier. But that may be some quirk of my installation.

/Paul