Richard Heck wrote:

My default technique here is as follows: Export to LaTeX and do everything manually. If that works, then, well, it works, and you can at least deal with it that way. If not, then I would hope to figure out thereby what's wrong. And if you're not getting LaTeX runs after the first, then I'm guessing you're getting an error during the BibTeX run. Why, I don't know, but doing it all manually should show you. The other option, suggested earlier, is to go to the temporary LyX directory and run everything manually there. Since I'm not on Windows, I don't know exactly how you'd do that. On Linux, it'd be:

#latex filename
#bibtex filename
#latex filename
#<..repeat as necessary...>

from the shell. Presumably, it's something similar in Windows.

Yes. Assuming that we're in the temp directory, with LyX still open, after View->DVI has failed, there should already be a .tex file containing the exported document. Call it mydoc.tex. Assuming that the MikTeX bin directory (or the bin directory for whatever LaTeX distribution Karin has) is on the system command path, she should run

latex mydoc
bibtex mydoc
latex mydoc (repeated as needed).

If the bin directory is not on the system path, supply a full path to each command (e.g., "C:\Program Files\MikTeX\bin\latex.exe" mydoc, etc.).

Again, View->DVI appears to be doing the first two runs, so it might be worthwhile to start with the third run (second latex run). If that does not provide useful information, Karin should run the entire sequence above.

If Karin's .bbl file exists but is empty, chances are that BibTeX has failed. This sometimes happens if a defective bibliographic entry (meaning one that is incorrectly formatted in the .bib file) is used. When that happens, the easiest way to track it down is bisection search. Remove half the citations and try to compile. If the document compiles, add in half the omitted citations; if it fails, remove half the remaining citations. Keep doing this until the offending citation is identified.

/Paul