The dvipdfm works on my iBook, but I don't think I could tell you why. I used fink, but not for LyX. I really like LyX, but it was too hard to get the formatting requirements for my thesis implemented so I found another program TeXmacs that I am using for my thesis.

This was my process:
1) Install fink
2) Install TeXmacs via fink (which automatically installs various programs needed, including tetex/ghostscript/imagemagick/etc)
3) Download and install LyX from the main LyX ftp site

Everything seemed to work after that, except for viewing dvi (but this really doesn't bother me, I use pdf).

I'd be happy to answer any question, but I'm definitely not a computer guru.

Bob