On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Sue Kientz wrote:

On Oct 31, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

Bob Lounsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I don't know if this helps anything. Let me know if I can do
something else to help out or help figure out how to get dvi viewing working under LyX on macs. Because it is definitely faster than pdf
viewing on Windows and Linux (and since this is a five year old
iBook, pdf viewing can take a long time).

Please, try the following. Open Tools->Preferences, go to "File formats" and then select "DVI". Most probably you have "auto" in the "Viewer:" entry. Try changing that to "open" (without quotes), click on Modify and then Apply.
Are now you able to View->DVI from LyX?

I don't have a Mac, but I have heard that there is a problem with the autoview feature on OSX. I can't give you details, but I think that for "auto" to work you need to take some actions such as explicitly telling the OS to use a given application for viewing a dvi file. The open command
should work OOTB, though.

"open" only works for applications that use the Mac GUI -- not including X11 apps. So this solution won't work for xdvi. It will work if an application such as TeXShop has been defined as the default .dvi viewer (but then "auto" should work in that case as well).

I tried changing auto to open (it's not in Tools > Preferences on the Mac, but rather Lyx > Preferences). I get a "cannot convert file" error, "An error occurred whilst running dvipdfmx -p letter - o 'foo.pdf' " (my document is foo..lyx). How do I define a default dvi viewer in Lyx? Or is that something I define via the os?

Sue Kientz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you look, through the lists on this topic you should find an answer. However, from what Bennett posted if you put:

open -a X11.app; export DISPLAY=:0.0; xdvi

into the LyX > Preferences and you have xdvi installed, it is supposed to work. It works for Bennett but not for me (probably due to some other program conflict, that I really don't care to resolve). The problem is that there is no default dvi viewer for mac. So if you have xdvi installed you have to call out X11. The default dvi viewers are shareware that cost $20 or I've heard of one free one TeXshop that is supposed to work if you install it and put "open" into the preferences.

Bob Lounsbury