Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Will Shattuck wrote:
> > I just installed LyX on Windows XP using the lyx-143-4.exe installer.
> > Everything went well and LyX opens.  During the "Hello World" message that
> > appears it says you can view the DVI output to see how good it is.  So I
> > do so and get the following error message:
> >
> > Title: Lyx: Cannot convert file
> > Message: An error occurred whilst running python -tt scripts/clean_dvi.py
> > "splash.dvi" "tmpf
> >
> > I don't know if it is a bug or config problem on my side.  I do have
> > Python 2.4 installed at C:\Python24.
> >

> What happens if you try View->DraftDVI?  If that works, the problem is
> likely with Python; if not, it is likely with your LaTeX installation
> (MikTeX?) or the LyX configuration (or the alignment of the planets).

I am sure this is a problem with yap in MikTeX 2.5. See this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg99140.html

In order to be able to use pplatex I had to modify the sources such
that it tries to overwrite the original dvi file up to ten times with
an interval of 100 milliseconds between each try before giving up.
With this modification, I am not having any problem with pplatex so far.
The same could be done with the clean_dvi.py script, maybe.

--
Enrico