On 12 Dec, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Martin Vermeer wrote:

Yes, I know. And that means they can accept a PDF produced by LaTeX. The typesetter of a journal I am the E-i-C of does precisely this, and he is
happy that it saves him a lot of work compared to the manuscripts --
the great majority -- that he receives in Word format. And with a better
looking result.

Stefano, insisting on a Word document is mostly laziness in this case.

Martin,

I see---you were not missing the point at all. It seems to me, though, that there is a fundamental divergence of views on the workflow model. Or perhaps there isn't. I think you'd agree with me that professional quality books and journals are normally produced by professional typesetters. (Or by obsessively perfectionist professionally-minded amateur typesetters---Knuth being the case in point). I don't know if you're in the last category---I certainly am not. For those like me---and I surmise that in phil and Soc sci we are the overwhelming majority---the main issue is how to communicate with the publisher---not how to produce beautiful manuscripts.

You may be right that pdf + inDesign may do everything publishers now do with word, although I am not sure how InDesign deals with imported footnotes, endnotes, etc. (aka as the philosopher's lifeline...). But if it does, then it would be the perfect lingua franca and I stand gratefully corrected. Even though I am still skeptic about the time it would take publishers to be convinced of that fact...

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland                  Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Auckland
New Zealand