On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:02:07 +1100
Russell Davie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have used the binaries made by the LyX Deb team when I ran Debian and they
> are 100% reliable.  Thanks guys!
>
> Now I am Ubuntu-Dapper which is limited to LyX 1.3.7.  To get most recent
> (1.4.3) I compiled from source which works.  However this
> bypasses the packaging system. More recently I found out about how to make
> simple Debian packages using checkinstall. To make a deb with checkinstall is
> a relatively easy thing to do.  Technically its a Debian packaging layer on
> top of compiling from source.  Although checkinstall makes a deb that fits
> into the the Debian packaging system,  the package is lacking notification
> for dependencies.  So it can't be considered official deb package in any way.
> I have used checkinstall to make a deb package of 1.4.3.  This also works
> well and fits into the Ubuntu packaging system.
>
> If you want my recent checkinsall deb for LyX 1.4.3. to run on Ubuntu-Dapper,

I don't know about Ubuntu, but debian-etch comes with LyX 1.4.3 now, so there
is really no need to make your own package.  It might also be not a great idea
to distribute it, since that might not be compatible with the official one
in terms of dependencies.

Does Ubuntu come in various levels of "cutting-edge"-ness like pure debian
does? Maybe there is already a package there you could use.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | Deserves death!  I daresay he does.  Many that live deserve
 _`\(,_  | death.  And some that die deserve life.  Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them?  Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
           -- J. R. R. Tolkein