Obs: I'm assuming that you're not using LyX, but latex directly... If you're
using LyX forget about what's below.

How many times did you compile your .tex file?  In order to arrange all
cross-references and citations right, LaTeX needs at least 2 (sometimes 3)
runs.

The order of events would be:

latex <your file>
bibtex <your file>
latex <your file>
latex <your file> (maybe)

Are you doing something like this?

--
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics

S. C. Internacional
Champion of FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2006
http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,128030,00.html
http://www.internacional.com.br/