Hi everyone thanks for your replies. It seems that I have
misunderstood the unicode direction for LyX 1.5.0 - can I ask in all
honesty and with no disrespect meant - what is the point of going
through all this trouble to make LyX unicode compatible if it well,
doesn't work with the majority of unicode text? For me the unicode
text displays in LyX fine (with a few quirks) so I was mislead I
guess.

I saw a Sanskrit package before which used Omega. I have no idea what
omega or aleph are or how I could implement them in Windows, I'm
afraid. I just use MikTex. What I use now is the velthuius package,
but the downside to this is that I have to convert to latex and use a
preprocessor on them.

The UCS package is really technically and I can't quite figure it out.
I think I may have to compile something using a perl script because
there are a lot of tgz files, some of which have promising names like
"devanagari".

I'm pretty non-technical but I can give you the examples that I use to
typeset Japanese and Sanskrit with now. I'm afraid I can't help you
that much with other languages at the moment.

On 12/27/06, Jürgen Spitzmüller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Stacia> Similar thing for Sanskrit - it whines about putting combine
> Stacia> into the options, but when I do, it just gives me a bunch of
> Stacia> "undefined control sequence" stuff.
>
> The documentation at the page above seems to say that you will need to
> load the package that loads the macros. What ucs.sty package does is
> to map unicode characters to latex entities. Then the package that
> defines these entities is required.

I've no experience in typesetting Sanskrit either, however, Google pointed me
to this site that seems to have some basic information:
http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/ahcen/coseru/unicode/

Seems that you'll need Omega (or its successor, Aleph) and the utf-skt package
to typeset Sanskrit in unicode-LaTeX. For non-unicode-LaTeX, there's the
sankrit package (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/sanskrit).

Also, you might have some luck with XeTeX (http://scripts.sil.org/xetex).
Since it's developed by the SIL, I could imagine that Sanskrit is supported.

As Jean-Marc wrote, if you can provide us with some more information on what
is needed to typeset Sanskrit, we can try and intergrate that natively.

Jürgen