Alex Casti wrote:
> Hello.  I'm running the Linux version 1.4.3 on Fedora
> 5 (64 bit).  I'm having trouble with the usual tried
> and true method of inserting references with BibTex.
> My addition of citations seems to work fine when I
> look at the lyx file itself, but the output to DVI or
> PDF just gives [?] for the citations, and the
> References section is blank.

Hi

I have been trying to get the bibtex referencing to work with a very
simple documents in Linux but my problems looks similar than described
here for the windows. Reference looks good when writing the text in Lyx,
but in the PDF document the references are replaced with [?].

I have myself tested both with the Mandriva 2007 and Debian Etch
(updated 2006.12.25 date) both using the Lyx 1.4.2
I have attached both of the example lyx documents, bibtex files and
generated pdf files as an attachment.

Mandriva 2007 Test with Lyx 1.4.2
- test2.lyx
- ref.bif (created with kbibtex)
- test2.pdf

Debian Etch Test with Lyx 1.4.2
- test.lyx
- master_thesis_ref.bib  (created with gbib)
- test.pdf

My ultimate goal is to use lyx for writing my master thesis in a way
where the text would only show the references number ([3], [21], ...) and
in the end of the document would be a list of all referenced material
(sorted by using authors last name as a key)

I have attached the example files within this document in tar.bz2 package.
(also available from
http://aragorn.kortex.jyu.fi:8080/lyx_bibtex_problem.tar.bz2)

Here are also some of the output I am seeing in the Lyx console when
using Mandriva.

The top-level auxiliary file: test2.aux
The style file: plain.bst
White space in argument---line 4 of file test2.aux
 : \citation{Embedded
 :                    Systems Architecture}
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
I found no cite keys---while reading file test2.aux
Database file #1:
0_home_lamikr_own_h6300_docs_writings_master_thesis_1_ref.bib
I was expecting a `,' or a `}'---line 1 of file
0_home_lamikr_own_h6300_docs_writings_master_thesis_1_ref.bib
 : @book{ Embedded
 :                 Systems Architecture,
I'm skipping whatever remains of this entry
(There were 3 error messages)
OkCancelPolicy: No transition for input SMI_RESTORE from state INITIAL
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
The top-level auxiliary file: test.aux
White space in argument---line 2 of file test.aux
 : \citation{Levy
 :                Steven Hackers}
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
The style file: plain.bst

Mika