On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:32:36 -0700
James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am running Lyx 1.4.3.
>
> Typing "latex -version" gives
>     TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
>     kpathsea version 3.4.5
>
> As a point of clarification, I didn't explicitly enter quotes around the
> nabla operator.  Specifically, if I enter
>     \nabla
> in a math environment, I get
>     nabla
> in red font.

Right.  But you put quotes (or something) around the \nabla and nabla you
entered into your e-mail message, and those are not displaying properly on my
(linux) computer.  The nabla in red within LyX should show up properly in dvi
or pdf preview, and on paper.

What I am suggesting is that your X fonts are missing the symbol fonts that
LyX uses (help, experts, with font names if you know them).  I get the same
effect when using my zaurus pda (which has lyx-1.3.6 or so and latex).

So, again, which OS are you using on your machine (specific distribution),
and which package, if you are using a standard package, of latex (typically,
it would be tetex or texlive (my favorite)).  What X fonts do you have
installed?

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
 _`\(,_  | conclusion.  -- George Bernard Shaw