Shawn Willden schrieb:
I'm looking into the possibility of using LyX for design documentation ...

The disadvantages I see are:

Everyone knows Word -- or thinks they do -- and they're going to be somewhat
reluctant to change.  If there are any difficulties or obstacles, they won't
want to do it.
It may not be feasible for a novice like me to produce a document class that
provides the layout we want.

My thinking is that the way to address the first disadvantage is to provide
them with a document class that makes the documents very easy to produce, with
zero formatting fiddling required.  Unfortunately, that exacerbates the second
disadvantage, unless, perhaps, someone else already has something which is very
close to what we need?

I wrote some documentations with LyX and are currently working on the documentation of LyX. From my experience I say that a well prepared template document solves the problems you mentioned. If you give me more informations about the layout you need I can surely help you to create such a template or also a special Lyx layout file.

LyX's Extended-Insets manual:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocumentationDevelopment#Extended-Insets
is an example of the style and format I usually use for documentations. This
format can easily be adopted for other aplications.

I'll address the specifics of the format we're looking for in a separate e-mail.

Where is it?

regards Uwe