Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

It would appear that on Jan 8, Helge Hafting did say:

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
Question 1 of 3

Why is the header/footer suppressed on page 1? That is how can I get
headers and/or footers to output on the first page???

Because you changed the "page style" for normal pages,
and the first page isn't normal in this case.

Yeah that figures...

Usually, the first page is either a chapter page (if
your document style support chapters) or a title
page. Lyx does not suppot changing the chapter/title
page styles directly.  You may use ERT
to set \chapterpagestyle to fancy if you wish.
Note that some document styles don't use
chapterpagestyle or titlepagestyle, they have other ways.

Usually, \thispagestyle{fancy} will do the trick though.
Make sure you put this ERT somewhere on the page you want changed.

Thanks for the prompt reply and the informative suggestion. However I
get an error message when I try this. As it happens the document I used
to try to do this with says:
\textclass letter

But when I try to insert either chapterpagestyle or thispagestyle
by, for example, changing this:
<snip>
\layout Opening

Dear Jim,
\layout Standard

Well Hello Jim.
<snip>

To this:
<snip>
\layout Opening

Dear Jim,
\layout Standard

\thispagestyle{fancy}

Well Hello Jim.
<snip>

What I get on opening the doc with lyx is An error pop-up that says:

"Textclass Loading Error!"
Are you changing the .lyx file directly with some kind of
text editor?  You are not supposed to do that!

Open your working file with lyx.
Place the cursor somewhere on the first page.
Use the menu "Insert->Tex Code". (Or click the toolbar button
with the word TeX in red.)
You should get a little box with red borders. Inside this
box, type
\thispagestyle{fancy}
Then move the cursor out of the box so you don't type anything
else there.

Now try "view->DVI" or "view->pdf", see if you get the
page layout you want. I get a letter with a fancy first page.
I have attached an example file, but be warned that it
is made with a develpoment version of lyx.  That's all I have
right now.
"Encountered unknown token
When reading" [filename]

Since the only place in my document's control codes I see braces "{}"
I also tried:
<snip>
\thispagestyle fancy
<snip>
With the same results (sigh!)

Any other suggestions?
Never mess with the .lyx file unless you know what you do.
Latex commands either go in boxes of their own (insert->tex code)
or sometimes in the document preamble which you find in
the document settings dialog.

Helge Hafting