Hello,

I would like to give a short introduction on myself and why I joined this
mailing list about a week ago (only lurking so far).

My name is Tom Schlangen and I am from Germany. My hobby is audio amplifiers
using old electron valve technology, and some weeks ago I started writing a
book about this theme, aimed at other valve audio DIYers. This book will
contain a lot of formulae and schematics, and for reasons not necessary to
explain here ;-) I am using LyX to do so. I would like to thank all developers
of LyX for making it available to us mere users in the first place.

I am using LyX version 1.4.3-5, installed on two machines, one being a Linux
box (Debian), the other using a W2k environment. The W2k environment is
unavoidable for some reasons I do not want to bother you with.

During the last weeks, I explored the LyX environment, including some secondary
literature pointed at by the LyX Wiki site, mainly dealing with graphics file
conversions, and so on.

Still, some questions remain, and I am sure some more will come up in the
future, possibly not being covered by the excellent help files/tutorials yet. I
hope my questions will not be too stupid in your eyes.

To start, I have two somewhat related questions:

1) I need to use Greek letters (for example capital Omega for Ohm) outside
formulae, within plain text. Of course I can use the "math pad" to insert them,
but looking at the generated code, it reads:

\begin_inset Formula $\Omega$
\end_inset

so I suspect I am doing something wrong, since I actually do not want a formula
there (containing a single Greek character) but only a single Greek character.
What is the correct way to do so?

2) Using Edit / Find & Replace (or the Ctrl-F shortcut) will bring up a box
where you can enter what you want to find and/or replace. How to enter Greek
characters there?

Thank you very much,

  Tom