John Hughes wrote:

1. ImageMagick is in the command path and LyX's path prefix.

2. When I convert the EPS file to PDF using the "convert" command, it changes my vector graphic into a very low resolution bitmap image - which is unsuitable for this purpose.

3. The temp directory contains both a copy of the EPS file and a PDF version of it. However, the PDF version is a blank A4 page.

Thanks anyway - I do appreciate your help.

No problems. The poor quality conversion has me wondering if there's a problem with Ghostscript. Imagemagick will use Ghostscript to convert PS/EPS to PDF. Rather than repeat copious details here, I'll refer you to the IM README.txt file (look for the item beginning "ImageMagick requires Ghostscript software ..."). In particular, the sentence "If Ghostscript is unavailable, the Display Postscript X11 extension is used to rasterize a Postscript document ..." makes me wonder if Ghostscript is properly installed and available on the command path (and whether it's up-to-date -- IM wants GS 8.10, although I presume there's an implicit 'or later').

/Paul