On Monday 29 January 2007 7:37:13 am Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 20:32 -0600, Les Denham wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 January 2007 18:55, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I have an older LyX file for my classes which I opened for the
> > > semester, and cannot get the file to properly print out using US letter
> > > in landscape mode.  It insists on being A4.  I have never had this
> > > happen before, and am frustrated because I've no clue what the issue
> > > is.  I'm using Debian Sid/LyX 1.4.3.
> > >
> > > Is someone able to "quickly glance" at it and tell me what weird thing
> > > has happened?  I'd really appreciate it.  I've attached it (I don't
> > > think it's too big, but please correct me if wrong).
> >
> > Kenward,
> >
> > I loaded it into Lyx 1.4.1 on Gentoo Linux and it came out in Letter
> > without me doing anything (see attached).  The margins could be evened a
> > little, but it's definitely Letter.  There may be something different in
> > 1.4.3.
> >
> > Les
>
> I get the same for pdf output no matter what I set for the margins, when
> I use Acrobat.  When I use xpdf, it looks great.  When I use gv it does
> not work.  I don't understand the pdf differences, but do know that my
> students (from Windows land, with nary a glimpse at much beyond
> Word/Acrobat) won't get the proper layout.
>
> ??? very frustrating.

  Which path (alternative) do you use to generate the pdf?

pdflatex
dvipdfm
ps2pdf

other?

> Thanks for the input, Les!
>

> Kenward
>
> ps. what the heck is "xdg-open?"  It keeps popping up iceweasel to
> display something, which is a very wasteful move.  I'm slowly changing
> various format viewers over to what I expect for them--it's faster, more
> intelligent (IMHO), and not irritating.

  Please report the bug to Debian. IIRC the Debian maintainer is very
responsive and is reads regularly this list.

  xdg-open is the freedesktop route to an automatic viewer. It uses the system
(desktop environment) default to use the different kind of files. As an
example I use kde, as my pdf viewer is kpdf I would like that lyx would use
that as the default without having to configure it everytime I install it in
a new machine.

--
José Abílio