Guess for the good of every user, expert or not, the second option is
the one you should pick.

On 2/1/07, Bo Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/31/07, Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Uwe, if the option is set to off (no download whatsoever), can
> > configure succeed? I guess configure will get current class list and
> > start lyx properly.
>
> Yes this should work, but then the users complain that not all needed
packages are installed; that's
> the dilemma.

Uwe,

You would not agree with me but my opinion is that we have shot
ourselves in the foot by enabling this automatic downloading option.
The simple fix for this problem is that we disable this option and
allow lyx to be installed without these classes. It is NOT our
responsibility to install latex packages.

Right now, we have a serious bug that lyx can not be used after
*proper* installation. Although this is miktex's fault, lyx is blamed
because we have bundled miktex. I guess the following two scenarios
are better:

1. we do not bundle miktex. Instead, users are asked to install miktex
by their own. If there is anything missing, they install the package
by themselves. This is what we are doing to all OS other than windows
and there is no complain there.

2. we bundle miktex and also bundle all regular (what configure.py
will check) packages. In this way, there is no automatic downloading
so no bug.

What do you think?
Bo

Julio Rojas