After some more reading in forums I found (and understood, or not) the
following:

The babel package contains the font encodings and metrics and definitions
needed to use the Culmus fonts, but not the fonts themselves, which today
are readily availabe for linux and Windows.

Latex CANNOT have font definitions by encodings, it can only have ONE
encoding, and ONE font family at any given time, and you can change them, of
course, but there is no memory for the font used in the encoding. The Hebrew
font families define font substitutions for the English letters using the
cmr fonts, so when you define the hebrew font family, your English will be
in computer modern. It isn't a bad font :).

I think the way to go about it using lyx (and leaving latex's problem as
they are) is to define the \language english and \language hebrew macros to
include a font definition as well, if the default fonts aren't used, but
that is something I don't have the time to begin to learn how to do, and it
may not be the best solution.

Nikud is nice to have, but it isn't needed in every day life unless you
write the Bible or childrens' books or poetry, or quote from such sources.
Lyx already knows how to include vowel points (see Sivan Toledo's page in
tau.ac.il) - I don't know by which packages, but it works, although
sometimes the signs are somewhat misplaced. The Nikud package you mentioned
promises that the vowel points are not misplaced, but I don't know how the
nikud works in lyx, so I don't know what is the cost of replacing or
changing lyx  to use this package.

As for the Culmus fonts, they are already incorporated through
ivritex/babel, so using Nikud won't change anything with respect to that.

Can we have a "feature request" regarding font definitions for different
encodings in lyx (and not latex)?

Miki

"Dov Feldstern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]